Thursday, April 16, 2009

Self-worth

Selfworth. Finding value in one's self.

I went on-line to many dictionary sites to find a good definition on this word, so that I could put it here, but most referred you to self-esteem. Here is what they say Self-esteem is at wikipedia:

In psychology, self-esteem reflects a person's overall evaluation or appraisal of his or her own worth.

Self-esteem encompasses beliefs (for example, "I am competent/incompetent") and emotions (for example, triumph/despair, pride/shame). Behavior may reflect self-esteem (for example, assertiveness/shyness, confidence/caution).

Psychologists usually regard self-esteem as an enduring personality characteristic (trait self-esteem), though normal, short-term variations (state self-esteem) occur.

Self-esteem can apply specifically to a particular dimension (for example, "I believe I am a good writer, and feel proud of that in particular") or have global extent (for example, "I believe I am a good person, and feel proud of myself in general").

-------------------------------

So, after some digging, here is what I found for Self-worth, from http://www.yourdictionary.com/self-worth : self-worth (selfwʉrt̸h)

noun: one's worth as a person, as perceived by oneself

Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2005 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

self-worth Usage Examples

Possessives

  • person: But shame can destroy a person's self-worth if left unattended.

Converse of object

  • have: You will have a right self-worth when you know your value to Jesus by keeping your eyes on the cross.

Adjective modifier

  • low: This may lead to frustration and feelings of low self-worth, and low morale.

Preposition: as

  • result: Jennifer did agree that she continues to have feelings of heightened self-worth as a result of the birthday gift.
----------------------
What's interesting in the meaning of self-worth and self-esteem, it says what you think or believe or is perceived by yourself. But those of us with low self-worth deem what others think of us as more important than what WE think of ourselves.

Patrick Means, in his book "Men's Secret Wars," says, "Healthiness begins when we wean ourselves from worrying about what other people think of us." He goes on to give two key things to help us:
  1. We need to anchor our self-worth to God's view of us.
  2. We need to give up the compulsive need to be perfect.
Here are my Questions: How do we do these? What does that look like in our every day lives?
Is it as simple as when we think negatively, we try to think of the positive? When we think "just one more thing and it will be done," do we stop and say no it is good enough, it does not need to be perfect?

I know, for me, it's been talking to the Holy Spirit and asking for wisdom. I don't know how to begin to walk this out or changing my thinking or my habits or patterns. I pray that I would be more concerned about what He thinks of me, than what I think others think of me or what I think of myself. But here's the qualify-er: I don't want think of how I think God thinks of me. Why? because only the Holy Spirit and Jesus knows the heart of God purely enough. I see through the filters of my own experiences and thought processes that are influenced by others.

Let the journey begin, in ernest.

No comments:

Post a Comment